I'm loving this twist on the mojito! I even love the name, it just floats off the tongue! Makes 2 cocktails, courtesy of Simple Stunning Parties at Home.
1 lime, quartered
2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves
1 teaspoon superfine sugar
4 ounces sake (use a light or smooth style, such as junmai or ginjo)
2 ounces pomegranate juice
1 tablespoon cherry syrup (see recipe below)
2 ounces club soda
1. In each serving glass, muddle 2 lime quarters, half the mint, and half the sugar.
2. In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, mix the sake, pomegranate juice, and cherry syrup.
3. Stir and strain into the serving glasses atop the lime and mint mixture. Divide the club soda between the two glasses, stir, and serve.
Cherry syrup - makes about 2-1/4 cups
1 pound frozen dark sweet cherries
1 cup sugar
1. In a small saucepan over high heat, combine the ingredients with 2 cups water and stir.
2. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, or until the mixture thickens and reduces by about half.
3. Pour the mixture through a fine strainer, reserving the liquid and discarding the cherry skins. Refrigerate the syrup until ready to use (it should keep for several weeks).