4456ab62684ae17244d576b2248ea70ce95c1b08c858edf677 Tuesday Tutorial - Felt Owl | Not Just A Mommy
DEAR READERS AND NEW VISITORS....MY BLOG IS HAVING A FEW TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES,THE TRIANGLE WHERE A PHOTO SHOULD BE. I AM SLOWLY GOING BACK RELOADING THEM!

1.19.2010

Tuesday Tutorial - Felt Owl

felt owl setWhile brainstorming some night-owl ideas for a upcoming slumber party, I stumbled across a Martha gallery of craft winners featuring these miniature felt owls. No directions, no clue. A little more digging brought me to Charlotte's Fancy's site, and armed with a little more direction, I was obsessed with making my own owls.

The catch is, there are no existing templates for all the pieces. I had to stretch the creative muscle a bit and after a bit of trial and error made my own but I can at least share the length estimates. Since Valentine's Day is coming up I thought pink owls would be perfect!

4" styrofoam ball
24 mm google eyes
4 9"X12" pieces of felt (3 in your choice of colors and one in brown for beak and ears)
glue gun
tacky glue (I use Aleene's)
nickle (for stabalizing) felt owl suppliesOne owl's face is made of two layers; the larger layer measures 4" X 3", the smaller is 3 1/2" X 2 1/4". The feather measures at 2 1/4" long. The head covering is a cone, cut from a corner of the felt, sides measuring 4" and I made the curve came from a small plate.felt owl feathersUsing my templates, I cut out feathers in tan and hot pink, and working from the bottom up, glue them on in staggered layers almost to the top. coveringMake the layers for the owl's face, head covering and cut a feather out of brown for the beak.covering owl body with felt feathers 2owl head piecesGlue the pieces together, but don't round the corners off the cone of the head covering yet, that comes later.felt owl headpieceThe ears are triangles about the size of the feathers. Hot-glue the corners together to create a pinch. felt owl earsOk, now the fun comes in. You'll have to hot-glue the ears on the head first before you layer on the owl's face, but only after you figure out the placement where everything will go. This includes rounding out the corners of the cone. Once you're sure where you want everything, a few dabs of hot glue will work. I hot-glued a nickle underneath because the owl keeps rolling.finished felt owlFor the second owl, the beak, ears and feathers are the same. There are two sets of eye patches, the larger circle is 2" and the smaller is 1 5/8".owl feathers cut outSince this owl doesn't have a head covering, you'll need to cover up the whole owl in feathers; assemble his eyes and then play around with the placement of his eyes and beak, because that will determine where his ears go. Hot-glue those on first with a little pinch on them so they don't lie flat.felt owl 2 eyesfelt owl 2 topHot-glue on his beak, then the eyes and you're set!felt owl 2 sidefelt owl 2 frontYou will definately see a few at future parties, he's actually easy to make once you get the templates figured out. As you can see, I also made a white one since the boy is all about Harry Potter and wanted a snow owl of his own. white felt owlIf you want to plan a party around your new creation, check out my previous post for throwing a hootenanny!

****UPDATE****
The winner of the Martha Stewart contest and original inspiration for these felt owls is Kangaroopals; she has an Etsy shop full of these cute critters, for those of you who want your own and not have to sit there and cut out oodles of feathers!
Pure Joy Events Party Tutorial Contest

36 comments:

  1. You did a great job! Adorable Valentine Owls!

    Come share your pretty Valentine Owls this Thursday on my Thursday's Treasures party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this little guys! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love you for posting these- i saw these on martha and was dying to know how to make them. such an adorable gift.

    ps: thanks so much for sharing my inspiration board giveaway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are just the cutest little guys ever! Love them! Great job!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, these are the greatest!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for inspiration! My daughter loves owls, so we instantly made them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ADORABLE owls!!

    Thank you for sharing at Thursday's Treasures!

    Come share again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sooo cute. Clever idea & sweet looking too:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tutorial and supercute owls! I bet you could cater this to any of the holidays by using different felt colors! Do you mind if I share a link/pic to your post on my Owl blog? Also loved the Hootenanny post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your owls turned out very well. You did a great job of figuring out how to make them. Thanks for sharing the how-to.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I linked your tutorial to my owl party inspiration board (had another and link isn't working, plus yours was better!). Thanks, Carli-DimplePrints

    http://dimpleprints.blogspot.com/2010/03/owl-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a new follower from Blue Cricket Designs because of these owls. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness - These are so adorable! Love them! Would love to have you stop by the Sunday Showcase Party. Hope you are enjoying your weekend! Thanks for the great tutorial! These are super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really cute! I'm bookmarking this--perfect craft for some 10 year olds at a sleepover! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so cute! I have been looking for owl stuff to match my toddler's bedding. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing at the Sunday Showcase Party! I greatly appreciate it! Your owls are simply adorable! Hope you have a great week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Dawn! I'll be featuring your owls today! Love them! Stop by and grab a featured button if you like! Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  18. Umm... these may be the cutest things ever! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love these owls!! I've already made a trip to HL to get the supplies!! Thanks for posting your tutorial on them!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are really cute and with the popularity of owls right now, just perfect! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes Yes Yes... they inspired my little monsters!
    Thanks for the comment! I'm so glad you liked them!
    Have a fabulous week!
    anj.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi! My name is Lucía, and I'm a spanish crafty-lover :) I've just entered in the world of felt, just last week, and now, today, I've just learned that one of my friends is going to have a baby soon... With this amazing tutorial you gave me an idea of a craft thing that I'm going to make for this little new member :) Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  23. super cute!! And I love the monsters they inspired as well. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for the comment! I had my monster/owl post scheduled to post yesterday while I was out of town. I came on here to send you a link this morning so that you can check out how you inspired me....and you had already seen them! Thank you for sharing your wonderful ideas!

    Brandy
    Home Sweet Home
    www.brandyscrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. How sweet! What a great idea to do using old Christmas ornaments instead. Thanks for sharing ... I've posted a link.

    ReplyDelete
  26. ADORABLE! I may have to make these as favors for my twin girls' birthday party this fall. Off to explore the rest of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  27. it's been quite a time since you posted theese, but I just ran into themand fell in love! They are so cute, we collect owls, so I will be doing some for winter (I live in Chile) and for some for Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for the wonderful tutorial. Hoo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think you did GREAT! You figured out the whole process on how to make them and came out with a template too. Congratulations!

    I am the creator of those owls “Your Best Handmade Creations” on Martha Stewart. I learned how to made them when I was in 2nd grade art class. These owls I didn't use a template. I just cut and cut the shape I need...(a lot of cutting). I can glued them with regular kids school glue and reinforce with pins... or sometimes I just use pins.

    To keep the ball rolling, before you start, flat a small side of the ball for the bottom of the owl. I hold the ball and push it against the floor.

    I hope everyone enjoy crafting them!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oi.
    Lindas corujinhas e parecem fáceis de fazer!
    Amei!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! If you are entering a giveaway, if you don't have an email available in your profile, please leave it in your comment.