We Go Wednesday - Walla Walla, WA

Yes, it does exist...I know, it's where Wile E. Coyote ordered all of his stuff from the Acme Company. I can assure you, there is no factory that makes jet-propelled roller skates or rubber bands for tripping road runners. However, the State Penitentiary is there. They are blowing up in the wine world. They grow the world-famous Walla Walla Sweet Onion. Oh, and I went to college out there. So did my husband.

We returned there this past Mother's Day weekend for a series of meetings hubby had to attend at his alma mater. So, it gave me some time to return to the old stomping grounds. Well, not all of them, most have been replaced by wine shops. Why wasn't it this cool when I went to school there? Back when it was called Walla Walla College?
I used to work here, the college bookstore, well now it's called the University Shop. In fact, when I went to school there, this was not the original building, it used to be across the street which is now a parking lot. Yes, sing it with me, 'they paved paradise and put up a parking lot....ooh la la la'. Except it wasn't paradise because we all moved every piece of furniture, t-shirt, school supply by hand into this new building.
Another place that didn't exist when I was at school there...a shiny new admin building. Back in my day, it was condemned. Asbestos, a horrible smell, and stairways so narrow and twisty, you had to lay against the wall if someone was trying to pass you. Now, it's all poison-free!
We hit up the farmer's market...nothing unusual. Overpriced ices, $3.00 each. Watching the boys trying to eat ices, priceless.
Also that weekend, an annual tradition, the Balloon Stampede weekend; at 6:30 a.m. every morning, about 40 hot-air balloons take flight across the city, in addition to other events and happenings. We were too exhausted to go to evening events, and no one was spazzy enough to wake up to see the balloons take off except for me. Of course.
A cool mural on the side of one of the buildings...I know it's 'famous' but I don't known the name.

Labels: ,