Tuesday Tip/Tutorial - Cupcake Carrier/Sandwich Board Makeover


I'm squeaking because of my fabulous find from Bed Bath & Beyond, it's a Progressive Collapsible Cupcake and Cake Carrier! I've been coveting Martha's version, but this one is perfect for those tricked out cupcakes that are too tall for standard carriers, plus it collapses down together for easier storage! My other one, which I hated, finally snapped and broke at the handles and had no finger holes to get the cupcakes out. This one is hard-core and I can't wait to load it up!

Speaking of tricking things out, check out my latest project, turning this nasty, wooden sandwich board for the PTSA....into this, a fabulous chalkboard sandwich board.It's my first foray into chalkboard paint, and I'm hooked!

Weapons of choice
chalkboard paint (I used Valspar from Lowe's)
white latex paint
sticky back foamie letters
sandpaper
inexpensive brushes & blue painter's tape
1. First I sanded down the board to smooth the surface. Unfortunately it was made from old boards so it has staples, knots, etc. But that's cool, gives it character!

2. Then a few coats of white paint around the edges, no need for perfection, this will be taped over later.
3. I taped off the edges with the painter's tape and started painting away with the chalkboard paint. It took 3 coats; from what I understand, Valspar is on the lower end of the chalkboard paint spectrum so I did 3 just to be on the safe side.
4. All done with the paint portion of the evening!
5. I added the letters, then primed the chalkboard by rubbing it with a piece of chalk and wiping it off.It will make it's debut tonight at our monthly meeting! I can't wait to figure out my next project will be...
The Girl Creative Party Bloggiveaways

Labels: , , , ,