DEAR READERS AND NEW VISITORS....MY BLOG IS HAVING A FEW TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES,THE CIRCLE WITH THE DASH WHERE A PHOTO SHOULD BE. I AM SLOWLY GOING BACK RELOADING THEM!

5.16.2011

Real Party - Construction Birthday Party: Activities + Decor

Finally, part 3 of the construction party...first, I revealed  the cake, then the food, now it's all about the decor!  As with all my parties, I really try to stretch my imagination and dollar; this one was simple, because a trip to Home Depot gave me plenty of inspiration!

I'm really proud of the construction tape wreath that greeted guests; I tied tape onto a foam wreath, and since the door hanger was a gold Christmas bow, we just kept wrapping it with tape, and added the foam tools.

Every construction site requires a check-in; our guests received a Home Depot canvas apron (.77 each!!!) and labeled their construction hat and dump truck.

Lots of kraft paper for runners and blocking off the various work locations...

None of the blocks left the paper...I didn't dare dream that, but it happened!

Styrofoam blocks + golf tees = Hammertime! The truck bowls are part of the same Paper & Cake Under Construction printables that I used on the food table.

The birthday boy hammering away! The kids spent the most time at this station and couldn't get enough of it!

It was a gorgeous day, so the kids played outside at the sand table....

...and Pin The Nail On The Hammer, also part of the download package.

Not only did they keep their hard hat, toy truck and the apron, while they were were leaving, I slipped candy tools into their aprons. This was perfect, as some of the guests were screaming not to leave, and it was the perfect distraction. Yes, I found a mold and made them myself. I told you I was addicted to candy molds.

Sissy's hair gets a quick make-over!

Couldn't help sneaking in this photo of the boy enjoying a Rocky Road marshmallow pop. Can you believe those hats fit everyone, from the little ones to grownups?

The proud parents! Thanks for letting me run wild with this one, hope you dug it...badum-bum!

Vendors
Under Construction download (table signs and truck bowls) - Paper & Cake
Plastic hammers, foam tools - Toys R Us
Toy trucks - Target
Construction tape - my own stash
Canvas aprons - Home Depot
Hard hats - Oriental Trading
UndertheTableandDreaming

25 comments:

  1. Can't get over the party details you dreamed up and/or found! The styrofoam bricks with golf tees were pure genius, so was the construction tape wreath, and all the cute construction site gear and accessories. Applause, applause!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the wreath!!!!
    and the golf tees in foam = brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is by far and large THE CUTEST birthday party idea I have EVER seen. Ever. I NEED to do this. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. amazing party!!! I loved all the details--especially the golf tee nail station.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just made a wreath for my son's 2nd birthday party based on your construction wreath. Love it....thanks for posting!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so awesome! I would love to see pictures!

      Delete
  6. i love these ideas my son is having a construction theme party may i ask how did u make such a perfect hammer ?? lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. what brilliant ideas you've created here! I love the hammer/golf tee station. Where did you get the hammers? I have looked and can only find quite expensive "real toy" ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ordered them from Toys R Us, they were $1.99 each but totally worth it, they went home with guests.

      Delete
  8. Love this party! I am also doing a construction party for my son's 2nd birthday. I was wondering where you got the foldover treat tags for the chocolate tools.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just scrapbook paper! I believe I found it at Michael's...or was it Jo-Ann's...one of them, but I can't remember which one :(

      Delete
  9. Would you mind sharing exactly how you made the wreath? I've been staring at your picture for an hour trying to recreate it and my wreath is severely lacking. Did you cut strips of the caution tape and tie it around the wreath form? Did you tie bows? Do I just need to fill it in more or something? Thanks for sharing all of your amazing ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The trick is, they aren't bows, they are knots! I forget how long my strips of tape were, but then again, it depends on how wide the width of your form is. You tie a strip of tape in a knot around the wreath; like tying your shoe, except when you get to the 'bow' part, you are making a knot instead. When making the knot, make sure you are consistent all the way around the wreath so the knots will all go in the same direction. Keep making more knots, pushing them close together, until you fill the wreath. The more knots you can fit on the wreath, the fuller it will look.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where did you get your caution tape? I got mine from lowes for a wreath and mine doesn't look as thick as ours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Katie - I scored my caution tape years ago from an actual construction worker, so it may have gotten smaller over the years :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love these party ideas - where did you find the foam blocks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are blocks of floral foam from Dollar Tree

      Delete
  14. I am throwing a construction party for my son next month and keep seeing everyone have the home depot aprons. How did you get those? Did you buy them from HD or did they give them to you? I would love these as my favor bags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can buy them at HD, at the time they were .75 each! Their locations vary in different stores, I found mine near the adult aprons, others have found theirs in the paint department or in the nails/screws aisle.

      Delete
  15. Oh my gosh I am sooooo excited for my sons birthday party! You have such amazing ideas!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Where can I get the printable for pin the nail on the hammer??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! If you look under the 'Vendors' list, there is a link to Paper & Cake

      Delete
  17. I am planning an construction party for my nephew. I love the wreath you made. Where did you find the foam tools?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your construction theme is awesome!hats off to all the efforts you have put into it!I have been trying to find a toy hammer for the 'hammer time'

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! If you are entering a giveaway, if you don't have an email available in your profile, please leave it in your comment.