4456ab62684ae17244d576b2248ea70ce95c1b08c858edf677 Fiesta Friday/Real Party - Pink Safari Baby Shower | Not Just A Mommy
DEAR READERS AND NEW VISITORS....MY BLOG IS HAVING A FEW TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES,THE CIRCLE WITH THE DASH WHERE A PHOTO SHOULD BE. I AM SLOWLY GOING BACK RELOADING THEM!

7.22.2011

Fiesta Friday/Real Party - Pink Safari Baby Shower

My sister-in-law Katie is having her first baby, a girl they are going to name Lily.  Sure, I could have run with that, but since the nursery is safari-themed, and per her request, became the shower's theme. Plus, when am I going to get the chance to throw a girl shower?  With a milk and cookies theme?

My biggest piece of advice when planning a baby shower is to make sure the shower reflects your MTB's style.  Katie is so not fluffy, girly pink; she's hip and sophisticated, so no teddy bears and storks.

Her other requirement, cheesy baby games.  I twitched a little, but that's ok.  I refused to do the How Big Is My Belly Game...that is embarrassing on every level, but I figured out a way around that to make them a little classy-ish.

My inspiration is always starting with the great Amy Atlas...WWAD? The shower was being held at an upscale gym so I really had to make it not feel like...well a gym. With high ceilings and fluorescent lighting, well, you see where I'm going with this...

And I must admit, it's my favorite party I've thrown so far...I pulled out all my tricks I could think of...varying table heights, different textures and mediums, tiny details, oversized details...
pink
I've had these oversized lanterns forever, and I spray painted one of them pink and hung in the lobby to take up some space and welcome guests in.

Next up, to enlist the help of my favorite party printables gal Kori of Paper & Pigtails to set the table scene...I told her what I wanted and she was all over that!  P.S. I don't bake.  They were all store-bought except for a few that were Otis Spunkemeyer cookie dough that I baked.  Don't judge.  I can only do so much.
pink

pink

I so love my acrylic boxes I found at Michael's on crazy clearance...you'll be seeing them at every party. I love to fill them up and a bit of ribbon to cover the seam...animal crackers seemed perfect!

pink
Strawberry and chocolate cupcakes, of course, with mini cookie toppers...


pink
I was excited when I found these little papier-mâché giraffes! And my favorite party trick, lining vessels with scrapbook paper...

I did dip the sugar cookies myself, so there!

pink
The hanging branch was a total stroke of genius...I've always had it, and hanging it over a table has always been a party dream. Since the ceilings were paneled, I was a hanging-stuff-up fool! I tied organza ribbon on for a jungle-vine feel.

No one got the letters, Josh, Katie, Lily.  They just thought it was a reference to the Alphabet Song...


pink

pink
Cookie garnishes and wafer straws were the perfect accompaniments on our Milk Bar...and yes, I snuck in paper straws. Total shout out to The Purple Pug  for the milk bottle inspiration.


pink
Yes, we had the 'Guess The Baby Food' and Gift Bingo games...I did say she wanted cheesy...let me tell you, we had some serious competitors! We had several food blends (granola and raisins) and they were wanting partial credit for figuring out one of the blends.

I found pink pacifers for everyone to wear for the 'Can't Say The Word' game; and once again, the competitive streak seriously came out again.

pink
I made banners from threading letters on fishing line, LIONS AND TIGERS AND BEARS OH MY, that was supposed to hang across the front of the dessert tables, but it didn't quite work out that way. Instead, I just ran them down the main tables and they were even better there.

I used lots of kraft paper; the table coverings, the wrapped boxes, covering the mirrors behind the dessert table...

Each placesetting had a candy banana favor (did you see the Thanks A Bunch tag? Yup, it's a stamp!) gift bingo and baby food cards and a glassine bag for cookie treats. I'm currently obsessed with stamping wooden utensils...I dug out my tiny stamp set and stamped BABY on the spoons...I know.



For the kids present, I wanted a little extra to keep them occupied.  I spied this super clever idea at Garnish, and it was perfect!

My favorite part was decorating onesies...we actually wanted artwear the baby would wear so I did a little research and came up with a great solution. I purchased different materials and ironed fusible webbing on the back. Guests then could freehand designs or use stencils and cookie cutters to trace, then cut out and iron onto the onesies. Katie's mom will later sew the designs to reinforce them on.

pink


pink


I love how they turned out!! The I LOVE AJ was courtesy of Katie's bestie and owner of the gym.  I think it's a little subtle...

The happy couple! Thank you for letting me be part of your special day, I can't wait to meet Lily!

Vendors
Safari printables - Paper & Pigtails
Gable boxes, clear labels, paper straws, wooden berry boxes, wooden spoons - Garnish
Cookies - local grocers
Banana candy mold - Home Cake Decorating Supply Co. (local store)
Ribbon, material for the onesies, fusible webbing - JoAnn Fabrics And Crafts
Kraft paper, ribbon - local store
Block letters, papier-mâché giraffes, acrylic boxes, cookie cutters - Michael's

Somewhat Simple

Design Dazzle

16 comments:

  1. Wonderful baby shower! You did an amazing job transforming the room. Very clever to hang the branches from the ceiling and use organza as the vines. I love the idea of decorating the onesies, they look so cute!!
    Lisa ~ HR Creative Design Studio

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome job! Love it! the word scramble is genius!

    hugs! Kim @ Party Frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. CUTE! love the branch and the hanging "vines"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Dawn!!! You really did pull out every stop here, it turned out amazing!! I love the branch over the table with the ribbon, and those onsies are so adorable! Congrats to your family on the upcoming little one! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did such a knock out job with this shower girl! I totally love it! You inspire me! I design printables, but I don't have quite the knack you have for putting it all together. You are a fabulous party styler!!! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! You went all out!! I love it and am officially addicted to your site! New follower! You are incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  7. it turned out amazing!i love all the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great shower, do you have the banana candy receipe anywhere on the site?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous - I didn't use real bananas, I used a candy mold similar to this one with yellow candy melts http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EI3YEM/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=nojuamo-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000EI3YEM

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's just too good. I am really impressed by your great effort to make this wonderful blog post. Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where did you get those cute banana candy favors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I actually made them myself; I used a candy mold similar to this one with yellow candy melts http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EI3YEM/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=nojuamo-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000EI3YEM

      Delete
    2. Thank you! And duhh......I just noticed that you had already answered that.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment! If you are entering a giveaway, if you don't have an email available in your profile, please leave it in your comment.