Tuesday Tip/Fiesta Friday - Elements Of Design In Party Decor

Way back yon, when dessert tables were on the cusp of taking over the party world, I did a Tuesday Trend on dessert table tips and tricks. In my art class, I've recently discovered the eight elements of design which I've always 'known' about but never really used the actually terminology.

To my delight, the post touched on all of them....in so many words.  Having a focal point, repeating a motif, balancing the table, and using layers are some of these eight elements.  Since many event planners have backgrounds in graphic design and art, it would make perfect sense these are the tools they've been using for years.  In fact, the elements are....(according to my class handout)

Balance - the distribution of the visual weight of objects, colors, textures and space.
Emphasis - the part of the design that catches the viewer's attention.
Movement - the path the viewer's eye takes through the work of art.
Repetition - works with pattern to make the work of art seem active. (i.e. the repetition of elements).
Proportion - the feeling of unity when all parts relate well with each other.
Rhythm - created when one or more elements of design are used repeatedly to create a feeling of organized movement.
Variety - the use of several elements of design to to hold the viewer's attention and to guide through and around the work of art.
Unity - the feeling of harmony between all parts of the work of art.

So I thought what better way to learn about these elements and get you thinking about your own presentations, than with fabulous parties and spaces. Of course, the elements will overlap as any good design will do, so I'll name the element first that 'best' describes it.  And yes, it is subjective, you may see an element that may be more obvious to you.  But, this is my blog post, so nah!

Oh, and why am I not using my own parties?  I'm not that vain, I don't think this post is about me....I could...but I won't...like my Rockin' New Year's Eve Bash has proportion, balance and emphasis.  But again, not about me.

Balance, contrast, unity - Pink And Yellow Party from Lil Hoot via Amy Atlas.

Emphasis, balance, repetition, rhythm  - Classic Red Ball Party from Pen N' Paperflowers.

Movement, rhythm, unity - About To Pop baby shower from Pen N' Paperflowers.

Repetition, proportion, movement, rhythm - Rustic tablesetting from Style Me Pretty.

Proportion, emphasis, unity - Lounge area from Coco+Kelley.

Variety, unity, rhythm - Beatles wedding from Green Wedding Shoes.

Unity, rhythm, balance, repetition -  Kitchen from Decor Pad.

Labels: , , , ,