Fiesta Friday - Super Dad! Father's Day Crafts + Free Printables

Father's Day DIY sharpie plate

If you just saw me on Q13 Fox News, welcome! If you are just tuning in, I'm talking about the easy Father's Day crafts I shared on air and of course, where to get your hands on the free Super Dad! Father's Day printables I used for the food cards and cupcake toppers.  These are so easy to make and are perfect last minute gift ideas.

And if you missed my segment, no worries...the link will be up as soon as it's available.

UPDATE: Check out my segment here.

Father's Day DIY sharpie mug

SHARPIE PLATE/MUG

You will need:
a ceramic plate/mug (the cheaper the better. More expensive pieces have a glaze that permanent marker does not adhere to very well.  I found mine at Dollar Tree.)
Sharpie markers

1.  Remove any stickers and wash your piece. Dry it well and if you'd like, wipe it with a little rubbing alcohol.

2.  Draw on the plate with the markers. Get as creative as you'd like! Let the kids get all up in there and make custom pieces...they are only young once.

A word to the wise, there may be some color changes like lighter colors darkening because various glazes absorb the marker differently.  The only way to really know what your colors may change to is having a demo plate.  But it won't be some crazy difference, that's part of the charm of a handmade item.

If you make a boo-boo, a Q-Tip soaked in nail polish remover will clean up any mistakes.

3. Place your piece in the oven on a cookie sheet first then turn it to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  The mug needs to be in the oven before so that it slowly heats with the oven and prevents cracking. You can start the timer for 30 minutes once your oven reaches 350 degrees.

I would check on your piece every once in awhile. You want to be sure that if you have a white piece, it does not brown in the heat. I have never had that happen but I heard it can, different pieces react differently.

4. Once the timer goes off, you can turn the oven off. DO NOT REMOVE YOUR PIECE. If you take it out, it may crack. Once the oven has cooled completely you can remove it.

5.  I can't recommend running it through the dishwasher and there are so many conflicting reports on that, so just play it safe and handwash your pieces.

6. Sharpie markers are non-toxic and once you bake your pieces, they are perfectly food-safe.  I've made pieces for all kinds of occasions and happily eat off of them.


FREE FOOD CARDS AND CUPCAKE CIRCLES

When I did my Super Dad! Father's Day Luncheon table last year, I used the green superhero collection from SIMONEmadeit and if you love it like I do, you can purchase it for yourself.

For my FOX News appearance (and because Simone is awesomesauce), if you head over to her blog, you can download the editable cards and circles I used for FREE! But hurry, they will only be available for a limited time.


She has lots of fabulous printables to make your party amazing both free and for purchase.  I first discovered her when I was looking for printables for my little one's LEGO Party and fell in love.

Thank you for visiting and if you like what you saw today, peruse around a bit.  There is so much to see and I would love to have you become one of my stalkers...

Labels: , , ,