Carousel Cake Toppers

This post was created in connection with my appointment as an Ambassador in the Popsicle┬« Blogger Program. Visit www.facebook.com/popsicle to join in on the conversation.

Parents magazine popsicle carousel cake topper
Image from hard copy of Parents Magazine

Every now and again...girly, sparkly, cutesy creativity strikes me.  And sometimes it strikes me out of a creative fail.  A few years ago, Parents magazine posted this super-cute carousel topper made from popsicle sticks.  Since I'm a Popsicle┬« blog ambassador, of course,  I had to recreate it.



So...the directions were fairly straight forward...which translates into missing a lot of crucial details that for the life of me I couldn't figure out.  There was a lot of hot glue burns and a bit of cursing. It said to glue three sticks together to form a triangle, then repeat until you have five triangles, then line the edges up to form a pentagon, then hot glue them together to form the roof of the carousel. Yeah, right.

I would post all the horrible ways I tried to glue them together (which how can you, without overlapping like crazy or having a second set of hands to hold it together to glue in the first place?) At one point, I glued I made another triangle, glued six together for support, bent it into shape to glue it, and cut the extra one off.

DIY carousel cake topper

Let's just say I was soon over it.  So,  I gave up and decided to modify some of the aspects to make my own version. So I present, DIY carousel cake and cupcake toppers.

DIY carousel cake topper with cupcake toppers


DIY carousel cake topper labels

DIY carousel cupcake topper


Initially, I was going to use zoo animals and make this more of a generic carousel, but I couldn't find them and I couldn't resist the unicorns. Yeah, a little girly crept in...I'm sorry fellow MOBs (mother of boys).

Minimal hot glue and no cursing required.  Stay tuned for tomorrow's Tuesday Tutorial for how to make your own...all  very easy details, yes I promise!

This post was created in connection with my appointment as an Ambassador in the Popsicle┬« Blogger Program. Visit www.facebook.com/popsicle to join in on the conversation.





Like what you just read? There's more where that came from...follow Not Just A Mommy on FacebookTwitter, Pinterest and Instagram. Never miss a post by signing up by email.  You can also follow the blog with Feedly.

Labels: , , , ,