Tuesday Tutorial - DIY Chalkboard Haunted House

Tuesday Tutorial - DIY Chalkboard Haunted House | Not Just A Mommy

Although all my party energy is focusing on my Holiday Open House for Christmas, that  doesn't mean I can't still have Halloween fun.

Today's Tuesday Tutorial is so simple you are going to go, why didn't I think of that? It can either become a a cute decor piece on your mantel or pass it on to the kids for playing with...nicely of course. It can become any type of dwelling they want with a little creativity, and if your kids are like mine, they will have lots of LEGO or Playmobil people to use with it.


DIY chalkboard haunted house how to

At one of my favorite art stores I found this papier mâché (yes, that is the REAL way it's spelled, all snooty and accenty) house. Oh, and a few dinosaurs, but that's another post for another day.  At first, I was going to turn it into a gingerbread house and hot-glue candy all over it.  But, if you follow me on Instagram, you would have noticed I've been a little chalkboard crazy...so I figured, wouldn't it be cool all chalkboarded up?

FYI, loving chalkboard paint in a can.  It's perfect for small, smooth projects...don't let the table on the can fool you...do you know how much you would need for something like that? I'm also test running other brands...but that's another post for another day.

Oh, and don't buy cheap paint. Learned that lesson before. Rust-oleum is awesomesauce. It says you only need two coats and no primer for paper products, but I'm a worry wart, and I have primer anyway so I covered it in a thin coat and three coats of chalkboard paint.

DIY chalkboard haunted house front

DIY chalkboard haunted house with lid

And even more awesome, it's a storage box so you can hide the chalk and eraser inside.  I think it is so cute and it has oodles of possibilities. Be prepared to see it pop up for all the holidays and a few just because ideas.





Like what you just read? There's more where that came from...follow Not Just A Mommy on FacebookTwitter, Pinterest and Instagram. Never miss a post by signing up by email.  You can also follow the blog with Feedly.

Labels: , , ,