Makers + Shakers: Meet Bite Me More

Makers + Shakers 8 Creatives you should follow

Last year, over on Seattle Mama, I started a  series interviewing local powerhouses who started with an idea and turned it into a crazy reality. It was so popular, I thought to myself, 'hey self, you should do the same thing, except this time, you should stalk some more of  your favorite bloggers from all over'.

So, for the next 8 Wednesdays, I bring you the Makers + Shakers Series: 8 Creatives You Should Follow.  If you know who they are, woo hoo, you are so hot and trendy.  If not, then look at that, you learned something new today.
Makers + Shakers: Bite Me More

Our inaugural post begins with the sisters of Bite Me More, Julie Albert and Lisa Gnat.  If you are looking for quirky and fabulously budget friendly party themes, original recipes, entertaining tips and chic tricks get you out of hot water in your kitchen and bring fun to your table, this is where you need to start.

The moment I saw one of their party tables, I've been hooked ever since and I know you will too! Read on as I pick their fantastically creative brains and share a few of my favorite projects of theirs...

Makers + Shakers: Bite Me More 50 Shades Of Grey table


Please tell our readers a little bit about who Julie and Lisa are.
JA - Lisa is my twin, born two years later. She’s not only got a bionic palate and mad cooking skills, but she’s also my Jiminy Cricket, constantly reminding me where “the line” is.

LG - What can I say about my sister Julie that she hasn’t already said about herself? Well, she’s passionate about fonts, sentence structure, and photography. Did I mention she’s a 14 year old stuck in a 44-year-old body?


Everyone always says you should never mix business with family, but as sisters, you figured out how to make it work. When and how did you decide to combine your super powers?
JA - I was desperate. I had kids to feed and was alerted to the fact that noodles and butter wouldn’t do it alone. I didn’t know how to cook (though I was expert at cooking up messes); all the while, Lisa was whipping up epicurean extravaganzas for her kids. She came to my rescue and taught me how to feed my friends and family.

LG - While I love being in the kitchen, I have always relied on Julie’s writing skills (wedding thank you notes, baby thank you notes, etc) to get me by. Her words and playful eye for design were able to bring my recipes to life. We really do admire each other’s skill sets.

Makers + Shakers: Bite Me More princess table

Between your amazing party shoots and crafts, writing a couple of cookbooks and oh yeah, being moms, how do you balance it all...or at least try to? 
JA - While we often laugh our way through the chaos, we aren’t going to pretend that things don’t fall through the cracks…I mean, have you seen my hair lately? We’re really both super lucky to have great families and friends. It takes a village…and then some.

LG - My kids barely recognize me out of the kitchen – they come home from school excited to sample the day’s creations. They’re so proud of all-things-Bite Me, as are our supportive husbands.

Makers + Shakers: Bite Me More Anti Resolutions Party

Speaking of amazing party shoots, I know you have so many to choose from, but which one is your favorite and why? 
JA - When I’m feeling naughty, it’s definitely our Anti-Resolutions Debauchery Party that we threw for New Years. When I’m feeling nice (and like Sporty Spice), I’m all for our tennis and golf theme parties.

LG - I know it won’t come as a huge surprise, but I love our food-related parties – we’ve done everything from pasta, peanut butter and popcorn theme parties to coffee, cookies and cake decorating parties.

Makers + Shakers: Bite Me More Peanut Party

Readers see beautiful, styled photos but we rarely see what is going on behind the scenes or how things didn't turn out quite the way you planned. How do you handle having to kick into Plan B or Plan C?
 JA - We’re big into repeating the Tim Gunn “Make It Work” mantra. We’ve done cooking demos where we were promised, but missing tools (btw, I make awesome sizzling sounds for veal cooking on a non-existent stove), we’ve taken a 3-hour taxi ride to a book signing (our flight was cancelled and we don’t like to disappoint) and we’ve fought tooth and nail with Goliaths (it’s not all fun and games). What got us through all of it? Making each other laugh.

LG - The past 5 years have not been without their serious (and not so serious) challenges. We’re passionate about what we do, but at the same time, we try not to take ourselves too seriously – this really helps us roll with things because as always, stuff happens and it isn’t always within our control. We try to surround ourselves with optimistic people who, like us, aren’t easily frazzled.


I am inspired by things around me...a pretty pattern may spark an entire party theme. What kind of things inspire your creativity?
JA - I’m a big browser. I hit antique and flea markets for retro treasures, I surf the net for seeds of an idea and most of all, I cruise the aisles of the dollar store, looking for things that can be repurposed. I’m all about turning hay into gold and reminding people that they don’t have to spend a fortune to have something look great.

LG -  Eating in new restaurants, travelling and immersing myself in other cultures, and flipping through cooking magazines and TV shows help me keep my finger on the culinary pulse. I’m constantly on the search for fresh and fantastic food and flavor combinations.

Makers + Shakers: Bite Me More Halloween Party

Do you have favorite blogs and/or websites you like to visit when you have a moment? 
JA - Apart from the obvious, you Not Just A Mommy, you? (Oh, you flatter me so!) Between maintaining our social media and creating new content for the site, I spend any free time trying (I repeat, trying) to crack the spine on a book…I miss reading on paper.

LG - I love all the food-related sites – I spend a lot of time on Tastespotting, Serious Eats, Food 52, Smitten Kitchen and Pioneer Woman.

Makers + Shakers: Bite Me More Fishing Party

I love to ask everyone I interview: if you are stranded on a desert island and can take one item and one meal, what would they be? 
JA - A Jet Ski and pancakes.
LG - Antibacterial wipes and pizza.

Be sure and keep up with Bite Me More on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and Twitter.

Thanks ladies! Tune in for next week's installment with another crafty dynamic duo!




Like what you just read? There's more where that came from...follow Not Just A Mommy on FacebookTwitter, Pinterest and Instagram. Never miss a post by signing up by email.  You can also follow the blog with Feedly.

Labels: , , , ,