Makers + Shakers: Meet Confetti Pop


Last year, over on Seattle Mama, I started a series interviewing local powerhouses who started with an idea and turned it into a crazy reality. It was so popular, I thought to myself, 'hey self, you should do the same thing, except this time, you should stalk some more of  your favorite bloggers from all over'.

So, for the next 8 Wednesdays, I bring you the Makers + Shakers Series: 8 Creatives You Should Follow.  If you know who they are, woo hoo, you are so hot and trendy.  If not, then look at that, you learned something new today.

Makers + Shakers Meet Confetti Pop

Today we are meeting Maddy Hague and Shauna Younge, the dynamic duo behind Confetti Pop, the perfect place to find printable paper goods, easy DIYs, and crafty tutorials.  They also have The Style Lab, their photo styling e-course.  Read on as I pick their fantastically creative brains and share a few of my favorite projects of theirs...

Makers + Shakers Meet Confetti Pop party

Please tell our readers a little bit about who Maddy and Shauna are. 
MH - My name is Maddy, and I am a graphic designer, art director, and stylist. I jumped into blogging about 6 years ago, first with a wedding blog called The Inspired Bride (since sold, and how Shauna and I first met), then with my home decor and entertaining blog called Somewhere Splendid. I recently evolved Somewhere Splendid into a line of designer party and office supplies called Splendid Supply Co. that mirrors the vision of the blog.

SY - I'm Shauna, a dessert table designer, copywriter, crafter, and stylist. I started my blog, Sweet Tooth, as a way to inexpensively advertise my business. Thanks to my marketing background, I was able to use social media and a little "don't take 'no' for an answer attitude" to get a lot of great publicity for my company, which specializes in high-end, customized dessert tables.

Makers + Shakers Meet Confetti Pop table setting

I've been stalking your respective blogs, Somewhere Splendid and Sweet Tooth, for years! How did you two meet and decide to combine your super powers? 
MH - As I mentioned earlier, Shauna and I met through The Inspired Bride. She realized I was a local blogger working in the wedding industry like she was, so she emailed to connect. The Inspired Bride had me swamped with emails. so I missed her original outreach email.

At the time, I was also working on an online wedding magazine called Nonpareil Magazine, and she was a contributor. She emailed me again on that side (where I was less inundated) and she arranged to drop off some extra sweets from the photo shoot she worked on. We hit it off right away (I mean, who wouldn't when macarons are involved?) and we've been best buddies ever since.

SY - After Maddy featured a few of my dessert tables on her site, she reached out to me to help style desserts for a Nonpareil Magazine article. Even though our styles were different, we both had a similar taste level and appreciation for each other's eye for design. We kept teaming up for inspirational shoots to promote our individual blogs/businesses, and eventually decided to make this thing legal by forming our joint venture, Confetti Pop.

Makers + Shakers Meet Confetti Pop donut costume

Between Confetti Pop, The Style Lab, and hosting fabulous events like your recent soiree with The Alison Show and Bing, you ladies are seriously busy. How do you craft and balance your regular lives, especially being moms? 
MH - There's no perfect balance, and the faster you accept it, the better you'll handle everything. My former boss told me that you can either choose to be the perfect parent or the perfect employee, and it's 100% true. I have to switch between the two a lot.

When I'm gearing up for a big project, like the Bing event, there's definitely an uptick in My Little Pony watching. I'm not proud of it, but it's what I've got to do. When I'm freer, I really try to focus on her because I'm so keenly aware of how fast she's growing up, and I really want to enjoy as much of it as possible.

SY - Balance is BS. It's just a completely ridiculous goal to think you can be amazing at all things all the time. I'm a mom, wife, business owner, and writer. Some days, I'm 100% mom and wife. On those days, my house is immaculate, the kids have crafted, played, and learned until they dropped. Other days, I'm in full work mode, my kids are being entertained by an iPad, and I'm sweating bullets over an impending deadline. Some days, it all comes together nicely, and I can focus on each aspect of my life throughout the day. But, that's the exception.

Makers + Shakers Meet Confetti Pop star pinata

Speaking of crafting, I know you have so many to choose from, but which of your projects is your favorite and why?
MH - Urgh, that's a reeeeeeeally hard one. It's between two. The first would be our Shooting Star Pinata. The other would be the Sequin Star Drink Stirrers I designed before Confetti Pop even started, because it's been years since I made them and I still love them as much as I did the first time I made them. They've been all around the blogosphere and Pinterest, so it's definitely been one of our most popular projects. I even designed a DIY craft kit for it that's available through Splendid Supply Co.

SY - Don't force me to choose! I usually craft the dessert/candy projects, so those ones are near and dear to me. I love this No-Sew Little Donut Costume. It's a remake of this one that I made for my daughter when she was two years old. It was fun to redo it now that she's older. I also love the Monster Mouth Favors. We made these together for her preschool friends. And, I can't leave out the Cocktail Color Block Popsicles or these Golden Ice Cream Cones.

Makers + Shakers Meet Confetti Pop paint stick tree

Readers see beautiful, styled photos but we rarely see what is going on behind the scenes or how things didn't turn out quite the way you planned. How do you handle having to kick into Plan B or Plan C? 
MH -  Plan Bs and Cs happen all. The. Time. Even for the Bing event, we had a crafting problem arise because of poor quality spray paint, so we had to nix that detail. I think the best way to attack anything is to brainstorm several ways to approach the problem so you're always prepared if something starts to go awry. If it still doesn't work, just breathe! It's not the end of the world if it doesn't work out. It doesn't reflect on how awesome you are, so take a beat and brainstorm something even better for next time!

SY - We go into brainstorm mode pretty quickly. I'm not going to lie, sometimes there is a moment (or three) of "What are we going to do?!? This is a hot mess!" But, we usually get back on track pretty quickly.

I made this Giant Christmas Tree Mobile with paint sticks for Curbly. It was amazing. That is, until it got massively tangled on-set. I spent more than an hour trying to untangle it, reinstall it, and get it shot before we lost our light. I had two kids in tow, and Maddy was in a corner somewhere sobbing because she'd just cracked the screen on her brand new iPhone.

Makers + Shakers Meet Confetti Pop chargers

I am inspired by things around me...a pretty pattern may spark an entire party theme. What kind of things inspire your creativity?
MH - I'm a Pinterest burn out. I barely use it anymore. Since I have the graphic design and art direction background, design and home decor tend to influence me the most. A lot of my biggest "ah hah!" moments have actually just been from walking up and down the aisles at the craft store and just thinking, "Wouldn't it be cool if I did blah blah blah with this?"

SY - I'm with Maddy. I'm on a Pinterest hiatus, too. It's almost too much inspiration. I'm most influenced by trends in fashion and home decor. A lot of the patterns and unusual color combos get my creative juices flowing.

Makers + Shakers Meet Confetti Pop purple party

Do you have favorite blogs and/or websites you like to visit when you have a moment?
MH- This sounds awful, but I haven't been current on blogs for like, a year. I follow tons of wedding and party bloggers on various social media outlets and typically click through when the post sounds awesome.

SY - I've never been a big blog follower. Just ask Maddy. She'd be like, "Did you see that thing I posted today?" There'd be silence on my end. I do follow bloggers on Instagram, and those sneak peeks of fun projects and the funny captions are good enough for me.

Makers + Shakers Meet Confetti Pop mask

I love to ask everyone I interview: if you are stranded on a desert island and can take one item and one meal, what would they be?
MH - One item? Hmmmm. I guess my laptop, because I have tools on there that can let me be entertained and creative. Although, the battery would probably die pretty soon, and I suppose solar powered laptop batteries probably won't be a thing for a while (or ever?). Oh well. As for last meal, it would probably be just an insane assortment of pastries and sweets. Nom nom nom.

SY - Item: iPhone. It's small, easy to carry, and does everything. Including possibly get a signal so I could call for help. Meal: Are macarons a meal? No? What about cake? That's substantial and meal-like, right?

Follow Confetti Pop on Twitter,  Facebook, and Pinterest.

Thanks ladies! Tune in for next week's installment with another crafty dynamo!




Like what you just read? There's more where that came from...follow Not Just A Mommy on FacebookTwitter, Pinterest and Instagram. Never miss a post by signing up by email.  You can also follow the blog with Feedly.

Labels: , , ,