Makers + Shakers: Meet Design Eat Repeat

Makers + Shakers 8 Creatives You Should Know Design Eat Repeat

Last year, over on Seattle Mama, I started a series interviewing local powerhouses who started with an idea and turned it into a crazy reality. It was so popular, I thought to myself, 'hey self, you should do the same thing, except this time, you should stalk some more of  your favorite bloggers from all over'.

So, for the next 8 Wednesdays, I bring you the Makers + Shakers Series: 8 Creatives You Should Follow.  If you know who they are, woo hoo, you are so hot and trendy.  If not, then look at that, you learned something new today.


Today we are meeting Melissa Rose, the graphic designer & baking addict behind Design Eat Repeat. Between her recipes, adorable printables and designing blogs and websites for other bloggers and creative entrepreneurs, she is a one amazingly busy woman.

Read on as I pick her fantastically creative brain and share a few of my favorite projects of hers...


Please tell our readers a little bit about who Melissa is.
MR - Hi there! I’m Melissa and I’m a freelance Graphic Designer & Blogger over at Design Eat Repeat. I recently made the leap to take my business full-time, and now spend my days designing blogs/websites, branding, stationery, and more! I get to work with other creative business owners and bloggers every day and I absolutely love it.



I can cook but my baking skills are limited to cupcakes, so I truly admire those who can do both. How did you first get into cooking and baking?
MR - I've been a baker ever since I was really little. I come from a big family, so anytime I wanted to step in and make dinner/treats for the family, my parents had no objections! I made tons of messes and always made a deal with the family that if I cooked, then had to do the dishes.



You have so many fun printables and DIY ideas; I was even inspired by one of your projects (my Memorial Day Cup Lids) to create my own version. As a graphic designer, what inspired you to merge the world of food and design?
MR - I started my blog back in 2011 the summer after my sophomore year of college, simply as a little summer hobby and an excuse to craft. I had zero idea of what I was going to blog about and really had no idea what kind of “niche” I wanted to take the blog.

As I went through design school and experimented with a bunch of different design projects, I decided that I might as well share some of these designs as printables on the blog. My blog really helped me narrow down my focus and allowed me to play around with paper.

Neither baking and design was ever something that was a "Lightbulb-I'm-Going-To-Start-Doing-This-Right-Now" type of thing. Before I became self-employed, I designed for food magazines and grocery advertisements, so those jobs also made me realize that I could take my childhood passions and turn them into a career.


Speaking of DIY ideas, I know you have so many to choose from, but which of your projects is your favorite and why?
MR - A few of my favorite projects would have to be my free Printable Recipe Card,
ice cream printables and my fruit printables. With the recipe cards, I really tried to have fun with it through incorporating fun lingo, as well as my own hand lettering for the titles. I try to challenge myself with every project so that the final result is something fresh & new that helps the reader beautify their everyday life.


Readers see beautiful, styled photos but we rarely see what is going on behind the scenes or how things didn't turn out quite the way you planned. How do you handle having to kick into Plan B or Plan C?
MR -  I recently shared some of my photo tips, but I'd say that 95% of the time the photo shoot doesn't turn out exactly how I planned. I think that's the best part of having full creative control with blogging, because you can go with the flow and just do what inspires you. I don't take my photo shoots too seriously and I try not to let hiccups with shooting kill my creative juices.

Other than spilling sprinkles all over my carpet about every day (no joke), I don't really have any good "disaster stories" with photo shoots. I shoot with natural light, so cloudy days definitely put a damper on things, but that just makes the sunny days all the better!


I am inspired by things around me...a pretty pattern may spark an entire party theme. What kind of things inspire your creativity? 
MR - This is always a hard question to answer because my best ideas come to me at the most random times. Sometimes they are sparked by seeing typography or a certain color palette, while other times I just look at a piece of candy and try to think of a way to turn it into something else. Someone once asked me "What happens when you run out of ideas?" and that question literally baffled my mind. As long as I'm living, there will always be something new to create!


Do you have favorite blogs and/or websites you like to visit when you have a moment? 
MR - So of my favorite blogs to read as of recently are Pinch of Yum and A Girl A Degree!


I love to ask everyone I interview: if you are stranded on a desert island and can take one item and one meal, what would they be?
MR - Well this is hard! It would be a tie between potatoes & tacos, but I think I might have to go with tacos. As for the item, I'd probably bring my computer (because I'm a workaholic and the idea of not being able to work makes me cringe! Ha!).

Carbs all the way...thanks Melissa for joining us today!

Follow Design Eat Repeat on Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest.

Tune in next time for a crafting powerhouse that I want to be when I grow up!




Like what you just read? There's more where that came from...follow Not Just A Mommy on FacebookTwitter, Pinterest and Instagram. Never miss a post by signing up by email.  You can also follow the blog with Feedly.

Labels: , , , ,