Makers + Shakers: Meet Katherine Marie


A couple of years ago, over on Seattle Mamas, I started a series interviewing local powerhouses who started with an idea and turned it into a crazy reality.

It was so popular, I thought to myself, 'hey self, you should do the same thing, except this time, you should stalk some more of  your favorite bloggers from all over'. So, I created the Makers + Shakers Series: 8 Creatives You Should Follow.

The series was so popular, I decided to continue it with 8 more creatives!

Makers + Shakers: Meet Katherine Marie

I wish I was one of this week's creatives' five children because everyday is a wonderful day of crafty fun!  Katherine Marie Kuck is the professional photographer behind Katherine Marie, journaling her creativity with equally amazing photos of her and her kids' lives.

Seriously, every day is a holiday at her house, from weekly themes to activities for favorite books to celebrating a cast removal.  Life is to be enjoyed and she does, so read on and find out what makes her tick...

Makers + Shakers: Meet Katherine Marie; alligator crafting

Please tell our readers a little bit about who Katherine is. 
Hi ya!!! My name is Katherine Marie. I am a professional FUN and MESS maker!! :) On the side I do photography. I have five kids ages three to nineteen, an incredible husband and lots of animals that live with us on our little farm in the Midwest.

Makers + Shakers: Meet Katherine Marie; reindeer food

When I came across your Instagram feed, I was instantly hooked! Your projects and crafts with your kids are so fabulous! What started you down this creative path? 
I probably started my creative journey from the first moments of my life! I really believe that we are all CREATIVE souls... we are born highly imaginative and creative. When we follow are joy and passion, creativity is sure to follow! I absolutely love creating, learning and celebrating with my kids... most of my creative endeavors stem from stuff we love to do together.
Makers + Shakers: Meet Katherine Marie; Easter baskets

As a professional photographer and keeping some pretty adorable kids entertained, how do you balance everything? Or do you?
Oh, I absolutely do not balance everything!! Over the years I've learned to embrace my strengths AND weaknesses. I'm a pretty horrible cook, gardener, house cleaner and decorator, but I can make great artful messes and love imaginative play and creative learning.

Makers + Shakers: Meet Katherine Marie; fire unit

Speaking of adorable projects, I know there are so many choose from, but do you have a favorite one and why?
Oh my goodness... it really is hard to pick a favorite!! I love whatever project I'm working on in the MOMENT. If I had to pick just one I'd say it was a FIRE SAFETY unit I did with the kids. I remember their smiles and joy...

Makers + Shakers: Meet Katherine Marie; puppy

Readers see beautiful, styled photos but we rarely see what is going on behind the scenes or how things didn't turn out quite the way you planned. How do you handle having to kick into Plan B or Plan C? 
Ohhh, this is such a fantastic question! ALL my best stuff has happened when things don't go as I've planned!! When mistakes occur or I don't have the supplies I need on hand... that's when true creativity comes into play. Creativity arrives in layers to be peeled off... the first layer is my vision. My vision is perfect and staged and clean.

The more challenges that happen along the way the more layers I get to peel off. It's hard to say goodbye to "perfect" but then I get to truly welcome "real and genuine." The more layers I peel off, the less my project looks like what I had imagined and the more it becomes exactly what it was supposed to be! The magic happens in the process. Mistakes and mishaps make creativity come alive!!! :)

Makers + Shakers: Meet Katherine Marie; painting

I am inspired by things around me...a pretty pattern may spark an entire party theme. What things inspire your creativity?
ANYTHING!!! EVERYTHING!! I'm especially drawn to vintage... so when I walk into an antique shop or flea market I'm on high alert! I keep a journal and write down a constant flow of ideas, quotes and to-do. I'll never get to my list... but it's fun to dream!

Makers + Shakers: Meet Katherine Marie; St Patrick's Day

Do you have favorite blogs and/or websites you like to visit when you have a moment?
My very favorite resource these days is PINTEREST! I love how easy it is to find inspiration and store ideas!

Makers + Shakers: Meet Katherine Marie; Valentine's Day

I love to ask everyone I interview: if you are stranded on a desert island and can take one item and one meal, what would they be?
iPad for endless reading and inspiration and PIZZA!!!!

Plus, you would get a much needed vacation!

Follow Katherine Marie on  Pinterest and Instagram. Thanks for sharing a little coolness with us!




Like what you just read? There's more where that came from...follow Not Just A Mommy on FacebookTwitter, Pinterest and Instagram. Learn about upcoming events, giveaways and more with my weekly newsletter sign up by email.  You can also follow the blog with Feedly.

Labels: , , ,