Makers + Shakers - Meet The Confetti Bar


A couple of years ago, over on Seattle Mamas, I started a series interviewing local powerhouses who started with an idea and turned it into a crazy reality.

It was so popular, I thought to myself, 'hey self, you should do the same thing, except this time, you should stalk some more of  your favorite bloggers from all over'. So, I created the Makers + Shakers Series: 8 Creatives You Should Follow.

The series was so popular, I decided to continue it with 8 more creatives!

The Confetti Bar; Jessica Serra Huizenga
All photos by Victoria Gloria Photography unless otherwise noted 
Playing with confetti is the best job ever...so you know everyday is a party when you're Jessica Serra Huizenga, Chief Confetti Thrower & Expert Confetti Mixologist of The Confetti Bar.

The Confetti Bar is an online, boutique confetti shop bringing you a selection of colorful products for use in craft projects, home décor, and of course, any celebration!  I have been a huge fan of Jessica and her confetti from the beginning; she was the reason behind my fabulous DIY confetti bar for my Party With A Purpose fundraiser.

Come learn all about Jessica and what makes her tick...

The Confetti Bar; wedding photo
Photo by Sassy Mouth Photography
Please tell our readers a little bit about who Jessica is.
I’m 25. Married to the bestest guy ever. I have great friends and an extremely supportive family. I like to craft & make things. I’m a sucker for glitter or anything sparkly. I love color. I believe in magic and finding happiness.

The Confetti Bar; confetti candle

I'm a huge fan of your work...I mean it's confetti!! What inspired you to start you business in all things sparkly fabulousness?
Confetti is such a symbol for celebration - as soon as you see or hear it you instantly think “ happy party!” so I really wanted to make that feeling stand out as something special and unique, thus I started crafting my own little bits of happy to share with the world!

The Confetti Bar; confetti hi heels

Besides designing and creating confetti and glitter concoctions, working with amazing creatives on fabulous projects, opening a new space, and working with your husband, Clifford, your Director of Digital Awesomeness, how do you balance everything? Or do you?
While I certainly have my moments and my days where I feel a bit overwhelmed by it all, I honestly just listen to myself and keep it all in perspective. Based on how I’m feeling and what needs to get done, I can prioritize based on my own needs so that I end up being more productive in the end. It’s not about working harder, it’s about working smarter.


The Confetti Bar; confetti ice cream cones

Speaking of concoctions, I know there are so many choose from, but which of your combinations is your favorite and why?
Ahh...that’s like asking me to pick a favorite child! haha I love each mix for different reasons, like maybe it’s the colors or the meaning behind it or who I made if for and why.

The Confetti Bar; notebook

Readers see beautiful, styled photos but we rarely see what is going on behind the scenes or how things didn't turn out quite the way you planned. How do you handle having to kick into Plan B or Plan C? Do you have a 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger' experience to share?
It’s so easy to get caught up in the way you portray yourself and your business, and I really try to keep things real. Sure, I am very picky about what photos I post and what content I create and share, but that’s only because I deep down want this brand to be consistent and fun.

That being said, almost everyday there seems to be a new challenge that makes you doubt or worry, but I really honestly try not to let it get to me. Just take things one step at a time and sit back to remember why I started in the first place.

The Confetti Bar; confetti soap
I am inspired by things around me...a pretty pattern may spark an entire party theme. What things inspire your creativity?
Anything and everything! It could be a song, a movie, a color, a photo - I am constantly thinking of ideas and I love feeling like I can find inspiration anywhere.

The Confetti Bar; packages

Do you have favorite blogs and/or websites you like to visit when you have a moment?
Oh, tons! I am in awe of the amazing talent and creativity that is out in the world and I love to see what others are up to! While there aren’t necessarily blogs I always keep up with for every single post, I am always scrolling through Instagram and Pinterest looking at all the fun stuff people are doing!

The Confetti Bar; confetti prints

I love to ask everyone I interview: if you are stranded on a desert island and can take one item and one meal, what would they be? 
One item: a handful of confetti! (haha - you had to see that coming!)
One meal: a salad…no seriously! I have always loved salads, even as a kid. My mom says she had a salad every day when she was pregnant with me, so it must have stuck. I also really enjoy eating well and feeling well - you can check out [my other site] Simple Unsweet for more on that.

How about confetti-covered salad?

Follow Jessica on  Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Thanks for sharing a little glittery fun with us!




Like what you just read? There's more where that came from...follow Not Just A Mommy on FacebookTwitter, Pinterest and Instagram. Learn about upcoming events, giveaways and more with my weekly newsletter and sign up by email.  You can also follow the blog with Feedly.

Labels: , ,